COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Dixie Union Chapel and St. John the Baptist Anglican Church, Dixie
Identifier: N565
Date Built: 1837
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 707 Dundas Street East, pt. Lot 10, S 1/2, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Old picture of Dixie Union Chapel at 707 Dundas Street East. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 10, SŅ. This stone building, erected in 1837, replaced a log structure built in 1816 by the combined Protestant denominations in the district. By 1827 regular services were being held in the log church, with time allotted to each denomination. Gradually the different denominations built their own places of worship. The Methodists moved to a church in Cooksville in 1845.The Anglicans built a brick church next door, St. Johnís, in 1870. The Presbyterians continued to use the Union Chapel until 1910 when they built a church just north of the Union Cemetery. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. Copied by Mississauga Library System from an H. H. Shaver Private Postcard
Agency: Mississauga Library System