Displaying image 189 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Dixie Union Chapel, Dedication Plaque
  View Full size image
Title: Dixie Union Chapel, Dedication Plaque
Identifier: PH0768
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1837
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 707 Dundas Street East, pt. Lot 10 S1/2, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 707 Dundas Street East. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 10, SŅ. This stone building, erected in 1837, replaced a log structure built in 1816 by the combined Protestant denominations in the district. By 1827 regular services were being held in the log church, with time allotted to each denomination. Gradually the different denominations built their own places of worship. The Methodists moved to a church in Cooksville in 1845. The Anglicans built a brick church next door, St. Johnís, in 1870. The Presbyterians continued to use the Union Chapel until 1910 when they built a church just north of the Union Cemetery. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. The text on the dedication plaque reads: "The gate and fence enclosing this cemetery have been erected through the generosity of the late Sir William Gage as a memorial to his parents, Andrew and Mary Gage."
Agency: Mississauga Library System