COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Brickyard, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Brickyard, Dixie
Identifier: MC0268
Date of Original Photo: ca 1930s
Image Type: B&W Photo, 24.5x18 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Location: Dundas Street west of Summerville

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: On the back of this photo is written: "Remains of Brick Kiln and block plant on Dundas Street, west of Summerville. The Summerville apiary is just over the hill to the south beyond the block factory". There is no other description of this brickyard or who owned it. According to William Perkins Bull's "Families of Peel County" George Tolman of Pucky Huddle operated a brickyard at the north-west corner of Second Line East (Tomken Road) and Burnhamthorpe Road, and bricks from that operation were used to build the Atlantic Hotel, which later became the Dixie Post Office and General Store when Charles Gill bought it in 1906. The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives.
Agency: Mississauga Library System