COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Displaying image 4 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Atlantic Hotel, Barn, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Atlantic Hotel, Barn, Dixie
Identifier: MC0467
Date of Original Photo: ca 1960s
Date Built: 1846
Image Type: B&W Photo, 8x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Mississauga Historical Society
Location: 965 Dundas Street East, pt. Lot 9, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 965 Dundas Street East, at the corner of Tomken Road and Dundas Street East. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 9. The Atlantic Hotel was built in 1846 by William Kennedy, grandfather of Colonel Thomas Laird Kennedy, of handmade brick from the Tolman farm. Jacob Cook used to stop there to pick up the mail. At this time the community was known as Sydenham, and then, for a brief period, it was called Fountain Hill, until it was renamed Dixie in honour of Dr. Beaumont Dixie. The Kennedy family lived there till 1882 and T. L. Kennedy was born there. Other families who lived there were the Goldthorpes and the McInerneys. In 1906 Charles Gill and his family bought the Atlantic Hotel and operated it as a Post Office from 1906 to 1946. Later the building became Dixie Variety Sales. It was demolished in 1968 and as of 2010 was the site of a KFC restaurant. This is a a photo of the barn on the property where, according to Colonel Tom Kennedy's memoir The Tom Kennedy Story, cock fights were held.
Agency: Mississauga Library System