Businesses Gallery
Displaying image 49 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Blacksmith Shop, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Blacksmith Shop, Streetsville
Identifier: MC0266
Date of Original Photo: ca 1930-1940
Image Type: B&W Photo, 24.5x19.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 258 Queen Street South

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Photograph of a blacksmith's shop, located at 258 Queen Street South in Streetsville, ca 1930s. The shop was built about 1880, and later operated by Lewis Pope and then by his son, Anson. Lewis Pope, originally from Trafalgar Township, was living in Streetsville, according to the 1911 census, and his occupation was given as blacksmith. Next door to the blacksmith shop was a residence which was later demolished and a funeral home built in its place. Both buildings were operated by Lenvard Lee (1910-1969) who purchased them about 1935, and the blacksmith shop became Streetsville Monument Company. After Lee's death his son, James D. Lee, took over operation of the funeral home which was as of 2008 was still located at 258 Queen Street South. Streetsville Monument Company, the former blacksmith shop, was a one-and-a-half storey structure with a gable roof, originally constructed of red clay brick, which was later covered with stucco and angel stone along the lower half of the front fašade. The building, which had previously been listed on the Heritage Register, was demolished some time after 1989. The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives.
Agency: Mississauga Library System