By-Law Enforcement
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
When can I construct a fence, pool, patio, shed or deck on my property?
Most new home purchase and sale agreements with the Builder contain a clause stating that:

“The purchaser (home buyer) shall not alter the grading or drainage pattern of the land (lot) in any way and shall not construct any fences, pools, patios, sheds or similar structures prior to final grading approval without the Vendor’s (Builder’s) consent.”

The purpose of this clause is to prevent private fencing, pools and other works from hindering the completion of any grading rectification works by the Builder. In certain instances, the homeowner has been forced to dismantle fences, decks, sheds etc.

Homeowners should not commence with any landscaping works or construct any fences, decks, sheds or pools that may alter the grades and/or drainage patterns of their lots or neighbouring lots until the grading has been certified by a Professional Engineer or unless the Developer has provided written authorization to the homeowner for installation of said works.

Related Links
Residential Sub-Divisions
Related FAQ's
Where are the Community Recycling Centres?
Do we have to clear our own sidewalk from snow and ice?
Can I widen my driveway and who do I contact?
Where do I go for a pool enclosure permit application?
When will the Developer/Builder install my fence/deck?
I have water sitting in my yard. How do I correct it?
Do I need a building permit for a shed, deck, fence or pool or to finish my basement or for the installation of an air conditioner?
Who should I contact to report stagnant water on private or public property?
When can I construct a fence, pool, patio, shed or deck on my property?
We are planning a block party. Can we close off the road?
What projects do not require a building permit?
Am I able to operate a business from my home?
A City owned tree has caused damage to my property. What should I do?
Where can I get more information about the West Nile Virus?
Where can I obtain a survey of my property?
Where can I purchase a copy of the zoning map for my neighbourhood?
I've lived in my home for over ten years and now my neighbour has changed the grading of his property and is flooding me out! Is he allowed to do this? What will the City do about it?
What is the zoning of my property?
What are the restrictions on play equipment for my house?
Am I able to put an air conditioning unit at the side of my house?
20 Items found.

More FAQ's:

On-line Forms
FREE Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
  FREE Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
Graffiti banner
  Report Graffiti
Mobile Licencing Location
  Service Location Information
Breathe in Smoke-free Air
Smoking is a Health concern which affects all of us. For more information or to register a complaint, contact the Region of Peel Health at (905) 799-7700 or by clicking on the link below.
  Regional Smoke-Free By-law 14-2003
Report Dangerous Driving
If you observe a dangerous act of aggressive driving on the roads in Mississauga, please complete the RoadWatch Citizens Report Form.
  RoadWatch - Citizens Report Form