By-Law Enforcement
Featured Article
Fence By-Law

The purpose of the Fence By-law is to regulate the placement, height and appearance of fences within residential and commercial areas to ensure public safety and maintain acceptable appearance. No permit is required to erect a fence.

The By-law defines a fence as any type of wall, railing, hedge, shrubs or gate that is used to enclose or divide a property or establish a property boundary.

Please note that fences that are used to enclose a swimming pool or fish pond must comply with the Swimming Pool Enclosure By-law 191-11.

Under normal circumstances the maximum height allowed for a fence in a rear or side yard is two metres (6 feet, 7 inches). However, certain restrictions may apply to fences in certain locations:

For a corner lot, only a maximum one metre (39 inches) fence of open construction can be placed within a certain area of the two streets;

For a rear fence that abuts a neighbour?s front yard must be of open construction if within 4.5 metres (14 feet 9 inches) of the adjoining driveway.

Front yard fences, (as defined in the By-law) must be either constructed of open construction to a maximum height of 1.6 metre (59 inches) or closed construction to a maximum height of 1 metre (39 inches).

Note: For the purposes of this By-law "open construction" means that at least one-third of the vertical surface of the fence is open allowing a clear view through the fence.

- cannot be placed on City property, highways or road allowances.
- must be maintained in good repair at all times.
- cannot contain hazardous material or barbed wire.

Privacy Screens
A privacy screen is a type of fence that can be a maximum height of 3 metres (9 feet 10 inches), provided that it is placed at least 1.2 metres (49 inches) from any side or rear lot line and at least 4.5 metres (14 feet 9 inches) from a front lot line. Any one individual section of the screen shall not be more than 9 metres (29 feet 6 inches) in length and the total length of the screen cannot exceed 12 metres (39 feet 4 inches) in length.

The maximum fine for non-compliance with the Fence By-law is $5,000.

Please note that the City of Mississauga does not get involved in disputes between property owners relating to the location of the lot lines between adjacent properties. This is a matter that must be addressed by the parties involved. A professional survey of the properties may be necessary. The following information is provided to assist property owners in reaching an agreement on the construction of a division fence in accordance with the provisions of Division Fence By-Law 0075-2004 using this step by step procedure. Click for a sample letter to be sent by an owner to an adjacent owner regarding the intent to construct a division fence. Click for a sample letter to be sent by an owner to an adjacent owner advising of completion of the division fence and requesting payment.

The Line Fences Act relates to an arbitration process to settle disputes between adjacent property owners when the parties cannot agree on whether a fence should be installed between the properties and the type of fence construction.

This information is for convenience and quick reference only. For specific information, contact the Compliance and Licensing Enforcement Section by dialing 3-1-1 (Monday to Friday from 7:00 p.m.). If calling outside of City limits, please dial 905-615-4311. For an emergency after hours from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. and on weekends and holidays, please dial 905-615-3000.

Related Links:
   Division Fences

On-line Forms
FREE Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
  FREE Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
Graffiti banner
  Report Graffiti
Mobile Licencing Location
  Service Location Information
Breathe in Smoke-free Air
Smoking is a Health concern which affects all of us. For more information or to register a complaint, contact the Region of Peel Health at (905) 799-7700 or by clicking on the link below.
  Regional Smoke-Free By-law 14-2003
Report Dangerous Driving
If you observe a dangerous act of aggressive driving on the roads in Mississauga, please complete the RoadWatch Citizens Report Form.
  RoadWatch - Citizens Report Form