By-Law Enforcement
Featured Article
Common By-law Enforcement Issues

In order to ensure the health, safety and reasonable enjoyment of people living in your area is maintained, you SHOULD:

Not park a commercial motor vehicle on a residential property. Subject to certain zoning requirements, one commercial vehicle may be parked on a residential lot provided it complies with the City's Zoning By-laws. For further information contact the Zoning section at 905-896-5581.
Zoning By-law 5500

Park a motor vehicle only on a properly constructed hard surface driveway, not on a grassed front or rear yard. For further information contact the Zoning section at 905-896-5581.
Zoning By-law 5500

Not dump or store debris (e.g. brush, branches, auto parts, fill etc.) on any land within the City of Mississauga.
Debris By-law 219-85

Place all waste material out after 7:00 P.M. on the day prior to your regular waste collection day for your regular garbage pick up, and place any appliances out for collection with doors removed. Always schedule the pick up of appliances with the Region of Peel at 905-791-9499.
Region of Peel Garbage By-law 80-96
Blue Box / Waste Pickup information

Play a radio or stereo in your car or home at reasonable levels, or not allow your dog to bark excessively to disturb the inhabitants in the neighbourhood.
Nuisance Noise By-law 785-80 & Noise Control By-law 360-79

Maintain your property in a manner that does not allow grass to grow excessively long, but not allow your dwelling or yards to become unsightly looking onto the neighbourhood.
Property Standards By-law 654-98

Maintain your hedge or wooden fence at 1 meter ( 39 inches) in the front yard of your property, to not create a sight obstruction for pedestrians or vehicles..
Fence By-law 397-78

The intent of the by-law is to protect against people, including small children, from entering the property and accessing the pool from outside the property.
Swimming Pool Enclosure By-law 191-11

Return grocery carts from any store property, and not allow them to litter public property, including parks and creeks, or on any private property.
Shopping Carts By-law 368-94

Protect your family or tenants to live in a house or apartment that is not protected with an adequate number of smoke alarms on each level of the dwelling.
Smoke Alarms By-law 284-93

Contact the Fire Prevention (896-5908), Building Department (896-5581) and By-law Enforcement offices (896-5655) for any inquiries concerning second dwelling units within a residential property.

For social events or if you are planning a construction project (other than roadway construction) which will involve the emission of noise clearly audible on the premises of another person, then you must apply for a noise exemption pursuant to the requirements of Section 7 of the Noise Control By-law 360.79. Full details of how to apply for a noise exemption is available, including a noise exemption application form.

For information regarding complaints relating to aircraft noise, contact the Greater Toronto Airport Authority at 905-676-4531.

This information is for convenience and quick reference only. For specific information or to register a complaint, contact the Compliance and Licensing Section by dialing 3-1-1 (Monday to Friday from 7:00 p.m.). If calling outside of City limits, please dial 905-615-4311. For an emergency after hours from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. and on weekends and holidays, please dial 905-615-3000.