Cemeteries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Burnhamthorpe Cemetery
Identifier: L398
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1832
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Cemeteries - Ontario - Mississauga

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Located at the southwest corner of Burnhamthorpe and Dixie Roads. The village of Burnhamthorpe was originally named Sandhill. The land on which the cemetery is located was a Crown grant to Abram Markle who sold the land to Levi Lewis in 1811. In 1825 the land was deeded as a site for the Methodist Episcopal Church, a public cemetery and a school house. The cemetery was formally established in 1832. It remained public till 1859 when it was deeded to the adjoining Primitive Methodist Church. In 1875 a new church was built on the northwest corner of the Dixie-Burnhamthorpe intersection, replacing the little Methodist chapel. The Burnhamthorpe Branch Library is located directly west of the Burnhamthorpe Cemetery.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850