Cemeteries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 11 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Clarkson Cemetery, Joshua Pollard Headstone
Identifier: BA0285
Image Type: B&W photo, 10x5.5 cm
Subject: Cemeteries - Ontario - Clarkson
Location: 1390 Clarkson Road North

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1390 Clarkson Road North. Joshua Pollard's headstone. Clarkson Cemetery is also known as Springcreek Cemetery. The following is from the history of the cemetery, in the transcription by the Halton Peel Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. "Originally Chambers Spring Creek Grave Ground, it may be the oldest burial ground in Peel County. One stone, 'In memory of ', in the cemetery dates back to 1812, though we cannot be sure that the person in question was buried there. The earliest written record is a minutes and account book dated 1848.

Prior to 1824 the land was owned by absentee landlords residing in the Town of York (Toronto). The first resident owner was William Kelly, who obtained a deed for 120 acres in 1824. He subsequently sold the farm in two portions in 1827 and 1828, the latter portion, which included the burial ground, being purchased by John Chambers of Toronto Township. The minutes of 1848 state that prior to 1837 the trustees of the cemetery were John Chambers, Warren Clarkson and Nathaniel Hemhill. The earliest family names in the cemetery include Greeniaus, Pollard, Gable, Bradley, Merigold, Hendershot, Marlatt, Shook, Oliphant, Hemphill, Savage, Oughtred, Peer, Lawrence, Munn, Kelly, Smith and Clarkson."
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850