Cemeteries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 16 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Derry West Cemetery, Meadowvale
Identifier: E604
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: ca 1830
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Cemeteries - Ontario - Mississauga

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: North-west corner of Derry Road and Highway 10 (Hurontario Street). Conc 1 WHS, pt. Lot 11. Derry West Anglican Cemetery is one of the very early cemeteries of Toronto Township (now the City of Mississauga). Church services were held there from 1829 to 1867 when the village of Derry West was destroyed by fire. First burials were probably in 1830's, but there now remains no trace of them. Burials continued after 1867, the last one being of Mary J. Graham in 1936.

After this the cemetery was described as full except for some vacancies in some family plots. It was estimated that there should have been more than seventy remaining family plots, but due to poor organization and unmarked plots no more burials occurred. William Perkins Bull reported that many of the grave markers had disappeared. The cemetery was closed in 1936. The cemetery has been recorded by the Halton-Peel Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. Heritage listed.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850