Churches Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 14 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Britannia United Church
  View Full size image
Title: Britannia United Church
Identifier: PH1007
Date of Original Photo: 1976
Date Built: 1843
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Britannia (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 5961 Hurontario Street, pt. Lot 5 W1/2, Conc 1 EHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 5961 Hurontario Street. Conc 1 EHS, pt. Lot 5 W. The church was built in 1843 of bricks made of mud and clay taken from a field belonging to Peter Dunton across from the church. In 1864 the church was enlarged and redecorated, and remains as it is at present. The original plank pews were replaced by white pews with small doors at the aisle, and the balcony was built. In 1897 the basement was excavated and the first furnace installed. Five modern oil lamps replaced the large middle chandelier, the present vestibule was built and the church was again redecorated. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851