Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 479 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Larson Log House, Clarkson
Identifier: J730
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: ca 1920
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Location: 1723 Birchwood Drive, Plan 389, Lot 68, pt. Lot 69

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1723 Birchwood Drive. Plan 389 Lot 68, pt. Lot 69. This is a one and one half storey log cabin cottage constructed in 1922 using wood log and chinking on a stone foundation. There is a gable roof with cedar shingles and a low dormer. Architectural features include a three bay facade on the south end of the building, casement eight pane windows, bay windows, French doors and a large internal stone fireplace with chimney. There is a board and batten addition to the rear of the building, an open verandah as well as an attached garage located by the breezeway on the property. The rear upper gable and window were reduced to allow for the connection of the addition. The structure was extensively renovated in 1987. Windows in the living room (right of the entryway) were altered. The windows were originally in 3 sections, with six panes each. Converted to a bay window of 8, 12 and 8 panes. The windows were custom prepared with real muntins. The windows in the upper gable end were altered from two, six pane windows to two, eight pane windows. The roof was removed and rebuilt with cedar shingles, replacing an asphalt roof which was not original to the home. A small dormer was added to the east side to match the original west dormer. The structure was originally built on one large parcel of land. It was designed by Beverley Sayers and built by Dennison who lived in the McDougall House on Lorne Park Road. The former owner, Barbara Larson, grew up in the house, and along with her two siblings, donated the Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. Description as of June 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8853