COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Clarkson Gallery
Displaying image 130 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Bradley House, Original Location
Identifier: BA0095
Image Type: B&W Photo, 9.5x7.5 cm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1620 Orr Road, Lot 28, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The photo shows Mr. Ryrie beside the house. In 1811 Lewis Bradley was granted 200 acres of land at Merigold’s Point. He cleared 5 acres to build a shanty. The present house was built later, probably about 1830. It may be the only surviving residence of the original Merigold families. In 1846 the east half of the lot was sold to Bartholomew Beardsley, who, by his will of 1854, left the property to two sons and a daughter, Cornelia Upham. In 1910 the property was bought by the Ryries and renovated as a guest house.

In 1941 the British-American Oil Company bought the land and the cottage was listed for demolition in 1959, as British-American planned to build a refinery at the foot of Southdown Road. The Township of Toronto Historical Foundation was formed to manage the house as a museum and it was moved in 1963 to its present site, north of its original lakeshore location, but still on the original Bradley farm. It has been restored and is presently operated as a museum by the City of Mississauga. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System