Clarkson Gallery
Displaying image 157 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Bush's Inn, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Bush's Inn, Clarkson
Identifier: MC0458
Date Built: ca 1830
Image Type: Col. Photo, 8x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Donor: Mississauga Historical Society
Location: 822 Clarkson Road South, pt. Lot 29, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 822 Clarkson Road South. Conc 3 SDS, pt. Lot 29. Built in the 1830s by Russell Bush on land bought from Amos Merigold. The inn served as a halfway house for people travelling by stagecoach between Lakeshore Road and Dundas Street. Once the railway took over from the stagecoach, Bush was no longer able to maintain the inn and sold the property in 1855 to Captain Edward Sutherland. Sutherland converted some of the land to strawberry patches and this marked the start of the commercial strawberry operation in Clarkson. In 1910 the property was sold to a Mr. Westervelt. The inn is now a family residence. Listed on the Heritage Register. This photo shows the wing of the house which once contained the kitchen and servants' quarters. It is believed that the original fire and overns were behind a plastered wall.
Agency: Mississauga Library System