COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Clarkson Gallery
Displaying image 126 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Bradley House, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Bradley House, Clarkson
Identifier: MC0647
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Museums - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1620 Orr Road, pt. Lot 28, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1620 Orr Road. Conc 3 SDS, pt. Lot 28. This undated photo shows the Bradley House, now the Bradley Museum, in the background, with a sign for the Township of Toronto Historical Foundation in front. In 1811 Lewis Bradley was granted 200 acres of land at Merigold's Point. He cleared five acres to build a shanty. The present house was built later, probably about 1830. It may be the only surviving residence of the original Merigold families. In 1941 the British-American Oil Company bought the land and in 1959 the cottage was listed for demolition as British-American planned to build a refinery at the foot of Southdown Road. The Township of Toronto Historical Foundation was formed to manage the house as a museum and it was moved in 1963 to its present site, 1620 Orr Road, north of its original lakeshore location, but still on the original Bradley farm. Mary Fix, the Reeve of Toronto Township, was one of the founders of the Toronto Township Historical Society. The Bradley House has been restored and is operated as a museum by the City of Mississauga, and is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System