Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 498 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Mary Fix at the Official Opening of the Park Royal Subdivision
  View Full size image
Title: Mary Fix at the Official Opening of the Park Royal Subdivision
Identifier: MC0645
Date of Original Photo: 1958
Image Type: B&W Photo, 19x24 cm.
Subject: Fix, Mary McNulty
Location: Park Royal

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Mary Fix with Sir Dennis Truscott, Lord Mayor of London, at the official opening of the Park Royal subdivision on August 9, 1958. The Park Royal subdivision was built by United Lands Corporation Ltd. In this photo Mary Fix is seen with the Lord Mayor of London and the Rev. Garnet W. Lynd. Mary McNulty Fix was born in Ottawa in 1896. She graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1918 and became the first woman lawyer in Ottawa. As a woman lawyer she did not get important cases so she went into business and became a buyer for a clothing store in Ottawa. She married Albert Fix in 1931 and settled in Toronto Township, where, after her husband's death, she became interested in local politics. In 1953 she became Deputy-Reeve of Toronto Township (Anthony Adamson was elected Reeve), the first woman to enter politics in the township. She was elected Reeve in 1955 and re-elected in 1957, 1958 and 1959. In 1959 she became the first woman Warden of Peel County. She was also a member of the Library Board and a founding member of the Toronto Township Historical Society (now the Mississauga Heritage Foundation). She died in 1972 and left her property on Pinetree Way and Hurontario Street to the Town of Mississauga (now the City of Mississauga). Description updated July 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8853