COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Cooksville Gallery
Displaying image 531 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Toronto Township municipal offices, official opening, June 2, 1953
  View Full size image
Title: Toronto Township municipal offices, official opening, June 2, 1953
Identifier: MI0147
Date of Original Photo: 1953
Date Built: 1953
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Municipal buildings - Ontario - Toronto Township
Donor: Arthur P. Kennedy
Location: 100 Dundas Street West, pt. Lot 16, Conc 1 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 100 Dundas Street West. Conc 1 SDS pt. Lot 16. Official opening of the Toronto Township municipal offices. The building, facing Coronation Square on Dundas Street, opened in June, 1953 and served as the municipal headquarters until 1969. It was described as .."...swank new municipal hall off Dundas Street" (Port Credit Weekly, April 23, 1953). Many people attended the opening, referred to as the building's coronation. The building was opened by Reeve Anthony Adamson, Deputy Reeve Mary Fix, and Premier Thomas L. Kennedy. There was a fire in 1969 which resulted in the new headquarters being moved to City Centre. The building became the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board. The building was vacant in 2003. Of particular note is a bas-relief sculpture at the front entrance (facing Dundas) of a map of Toronto Township and representative figures. Building designed by Adamson Architects. Mural by Cleeve Horne, a well known and established artist. Previously listed on the Heritage Register, the building has since been demolished. This photo shows the large crowd which attended the official opening. Original photo at Museums of Mississauga. Description as of September 2012.
Agency: Mississauga Library System