Go Beyond the Hour
Earth Hour is Every Hour!
Big or Small, Every Action Counts
There are lots of ways to make every hour, Earth Hour. Turning off your lights is just the beginning. From unplugging unused equipment to not running water while brushing your teeth, no action is too small.
To help you go beyond the hour, check out everyday tips:
Did you know? Removing plugged in unused chargers, computers, coffee makers, etc. could reduce your monthly energy bill by as much as 10 percent!
- Install a programmable thermostat to lower temperatures at night, when your home is unoccupied.
- Reduce your thermostat by 1-2 degrees in the winter and increase it by 1-2 degrees in the summer.
- Only run your dishwasher with a full load.
- Use LED or compact fluorescent light bulbs where possible.
- Turn off lights in unoccupied areas of the house.
- Wash clothes in cold water and hang them up to dry.
- Consider solar panels, tankless water heaters, or a geothermal system as alternatives to power and heat your home.
Earth Hour is a global celebration to help protect the one thing that unites us all – the planet. Show us what’s possible! Visit Mississauga’s Facebook page to share how you’re supporting Earth Hour and beyond!
To keep informed about Mississauga's environmental initiatives and key events throughout the year, subscribe to the Mississauga Living Green blog at mississauga.ca/livinggreen.