Go Beyond The Hour
This year, in addition to reducing lighting and energy consumption for Earth Hour on March 23, the City of Mississauga is participating in I Will If You Will (IWIYW) as an expression of our commitment to Living Green.
IWIYW is an Earth Hour campaign to encourage residents to take ongoing positive action for the environment, beyond the hour. It's about taking the inspiration of one hour into the actions of every hour!
Count yourself in.....TAKE THE CHALLENGE
Need More Information about I Will If You Will?
Big or Small, Every Action Counts
There's lots of ways you can spring into action and take a step forward towards a cleaner, greener Mississauga - every day. Taking the first step is as easy as turning off your lights. But that's just the beginning!
Walk more, drive less.
- Drive less and walk, bike or use public transit more.
- Properly inflate your car's tires.
- Carpool to save gas and money.
- Use a car-sharing program in your neighborhood.
- Buy a hybrid or electric vehicle.
Use Less Water.
- Connect your downspout to a rain barrel.
- Don't run the water while brushing your teeth.
- Replace your toilet with a low flow or dual flush model.
- Take a bath instead of a shower.
- Water your lawn at night.
Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Bring your own reusable bags when shopping.
- Bring your own reusable coffee cup.
- Buy locally made or locally grown products.
- Donate your stuff instead of throwing it away.
- eCycle old computers and other electronic waste instead of throwing it away.
- Switch to paperless billing.
- Use the recycling and compost bins as much as you can. Garbage should be a last resort.
Be energy smart.
- Replace old appliances with higher-efficiency models.
- Reduce your thermostat by 1-2 degrees in the winter and increase it by 1-2 degrees in the summer.
- Only run your dishwasher with a full load.
- Turn off all lights and appliances whenever they are not in use.
- Use LED or compact florescent light bulbs where possible.
- Wash clothes in cold water and hang them up to dry.
Mississauga's I Will If You Will Challenge
Mayor Hazel McCallion pledges to take the winner of Mississauga's I Will If You Will challenge for a ride in her electric vehicle, if 500 people register for Let Your Green Show.
At Let Your Green Show you can pick a water-saving action, track your neighbourhood's progress and get money saving rewards. It's that simple!
Participate to Win
You must be a Mississauga resident to accept the challenge and to be eligible to ride with the Mayor in her electric vehicle.
- Accept Mississauga's I Will If You Will Challenge
- Fill out and complete the online entry form
- Register for Let Your Green Show
One person has the power to make a change. You can make that change. Together, our actions add up!
Earth Hour is a global movement that encourages people around the world to take positive action for the environment and protect the one thing that unites us all - the planet. Visit Mississauga's Facebook page to share how you're going beyond the hour!
Earth Hour Social Media Links
Earth Hour Global Channel
Al Gore: Confronting Climate Change - Youtube
Earth Hour Facebook
Earth Hour Twitter
Earth Hour Global's Photostream - Flickr
Earth Hour Instagram
Earth Hour Blog
Earth Hour Google+
Earth Hour MySpace
Earth Hour E-mail Signup