COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Erindale Gallery
Displaying image 28 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Barker General Store, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Barker General Store, Erindale
Identifier: L588
Date of Original Photo: 1982
Date Built: 1921
Image Type: Slide
Location: 1615 Dundas Street West, pt. Lot 4, Range 1 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1615 Dundas Street West. Range 1 SDS, pt. Lot 4. The following description is courtesy of Matthew Wilkinson, a descendant of the Barker family. The building was built in 1921, following the Erindale fire of 1919, to replace the home and general store of Catherine and John M. Barker. This building served as the General Store and became the family home of Marjorie and Delmar Barker. The square tower was added in 1938. The building originally stood in the middle of the westbound lanes of Dundas Street and was moved back when Dundas Street was widened in 1950s. Delmar Barker also had a small garage named Erindale Motors. After his death in 1944 his widow, Marjorie, ran the general store until the 1960s. A member of the family, Ruth Barker, ran a real estate office out of the building until the late 1960s, and another family member, Grace Barker, ran a thrift store, known as Missinike Symposium out of the building until 1982. This 1982 photo shows the building after the closing of the thrift store. The building sat derelict until it was purchased by the O'Neil family who operated it as a vacuum cleaner store. The building is listed on the Heritage Register. Description updated August 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System