Erindale Gallery
Displaying image 96 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Dr. Dixie's House, Front Entrance, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Dr. Dixie's House, Front Entrance, Erindale
Identifier: MC0582
Date of Original Photo: ca 1969
Date Built: Before 1854
Image Type: B&W Photo, 9.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Location: 1437 Dundas Crescent North, pt. Lot 5-6, Range 1, CIR, SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1437 Dundas Crescent North. Range 1, CIR, SDS, Pt. Lot 5-6. Dr. Beaumont Wilson Bowen Dixie was born in Wales March 27th, 1819, and came to Canada when he was twelve years old. He and his brother, Wolstan, both attended Upper Canada College. Dr. Dixie was granted his medical degree in 1843 and immediately began his practice, having his headquarters in Sydenham (later renamed Dixie in his honour), with offices in Port Credit, Grahamsville, and Springfield (Erindale). The house in Erindale was most probably built before 1854. Marjorie Twitchell reported that the house was willed to Dr. Dixie by his aunt, Christina Wilson, of Stamford Township. The original house was a single storey frame structure with a stone foundation, sheathed in clapboard. Over time, numerous additions were made to it. The house was eventually owned by Peter Demeter and it was here that his wife, Christine, was murdered. In 1984 Demeter allegedly arranged for the house to be blown up. The building was demolished that year. It had been listed on the heritage inventory but was not designated. This photo shows the front entrance of the house.
Agency: Mississauga Library System