Erindale Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Albertson Barn, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Albertson Barn, Erindale
Identifier: PH3498
Date of Original Photo: ca 1990
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm
Subject: Barns - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 2053 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Plan 1542 pt. Lot 7

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 2053 Burnhamthorpe Road West. Plan 1542 pt. Lot 7. The south foundation of this Central Ontario Gambrel barn was constructed of white painted uncoursed fieldstone, whereas smooth plain stone covered the other three foundation walls. The barn itself had vertical board and plain batten siding and the roof was of metal sheeting. According to the Barn Inventory of the Planning and Heritage Department, the "Central Ontario barn is virtually ubiquitous in its distribution, although the heaviest concentrations lie in the northern counties. In some areas the gambrel variety is most dominant, while in others, the gable appears more frequently. In the southern counties, the gambrel roof seems to be the most popular. This fact is certainly supported by the pervasiveness of the gambrel roof on surviving Central Ontario Barns within the City of Mississauga… In general, the foundation storey served as the stable, while the upper storey consisted of three types of space: the Drive Floor (used for work space and storage of tools and machinery), the Granary (used for storing crops and for loading crops on to wagons outside the barn), and the Storage Mow (used for storage of hay, straw, unthreshed grains, and other crops). Many barns also featured a loft." The barn was located on part of the original homestead of William Albertson who served in the War of 1812 alongside General Brock. The barn was demolished some time after 1990. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850