Erindale Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
  View Full size image
Title: "Erindale", the Second Magrath Residence
Identifier: HA0049
Date Built: ca 1832
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: Lot 24-27, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Conc 1 NDS, lots 24-27. (In the area now known as Erindale Woodlands). This is the second house, called "Erindale", built in 1867 by William Magrath. The first Erindale Estate was situated in Springfield-on-the-Credit, and was the residence of the Rev. James W. Magrath who emigrated from Ireland in 1827 with his family and became the first clergyman of St. Peterís Church, Erindale. The property on which the house stood was 700 acres. In 1861 the house was burned to the ground and the family, in the meantime, moved into Mr. Taylorís hotel in the village for a month, and then to a cottage at the foot of the Long Avenue while this house, the second "Erindale", was being built. After the death in 1888 of William Magrath (father of Mary Magrath who married Arthur Harris), the property was sold to the Price family who operated it as one of the finest dairy farms in Canada. The business was later sold to City Dairy. The house was destroyed by fire in a fierce electrical storm in June 1920. In 1925 the property was sold to a developer though building of the subdivision did not begin till 1954. The stone gates which were the entry to Erindale Estate remained at 1375 Dundas Crescent until 1995 when they were demolished. Some of the stone from the gates was used to repair St. Peterís Anglican Church. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850