- Follow the laws and regulations regarding the purchase and use of fireworks.
- Fireworks should only be purchased from a licensed retailer permitted to sell fireworks to the general public within the City of Mississauga as per By-law 1-06 and By-law 340-01.
Setting up Fireworks:
- Read the instructions, cautions and warnings on each firework item.
- Store unused fireworks in a closed box away from the firework being lit.
- Do not smoke around the fireworks.
- Set up fireworks outdoors in a clear, open space and place them on a hard, flat level surface to ensure stability.
- Check the direction of the wind and set up the fireworks display so that the direction of the wind is blowing away from the spectators.
- Spectators should be situated away from the display at the distance deemed safe as outlined on the fireworks label.
- Special care should be taken with the supervision on children.
- Always have a bucket of sand, a supply of water and a working fire extinguisher in close proximity.
- Never handle fireworks unless you are an adult (18 years or older).
- Never handle fireworks if you are impaired (alcohol or drugs).
- Never light more than one firework item at a time.
- Never light fireworks without wearing protective eye glasses and gloves. Light fireworks at arm's length and then stand back.
- Never lean over the fireworks; keep hair and clothes away from the fire source.
- Never attempt to re-light a "dud" or defective firework.
- Never hold a lighted firework item in your hand.
- Sparklers should be immersed in a bucket of sand to cool down after burning out as they remain very hot for some time.
- Fireworks should always be disposed in a safe and proper manner.