In the mid 1700s, southern Ontario was settled by the native Ojibway, including native
Mississaugas from the shores of Lake Huron. The Mississaugas fished, hunted, trapped, and
harvested maple syrup and wild rice. They were also fur traders and well known for meeting
their credit obligations. The river where they traded came to be called the Credit River.
By the 1820s, the Mississaugas had surrendered most of their territory to the British Crown.
An Indian Village was created on the River Credit and the Mississaugas cleared land for farming
and built log cabins, a sawmill, and a school and Methodist chapel. In 1847, as settlers and
industry continued to encroach on their way of life, about 260 Mississaugas moved from the
River Credit to land in Tuscarora Township. The Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation has
prospered in this location. In 2006, the reserve covered more than 6,000 acres near
If you have any questions about the Library images, please contact:
Arts & History Department
Mississauga Central Library