COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Industries Gallery
Displaying image 65 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Generating Station
Identifier: L415
Date of Original Photo: 1982
Date Built: 1962
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1082 Lakeshore Road East, pt. Lots 7-9, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 800 Hydro Road, Lakeview. Conc 3 SDS, pt. Lots 7-9. The coal-fired Lakeview Generating Station was opened by Premier John Robarts June 20, 1962. At that time it was expected to have a generating capacity equal to Ontario Hydro's two major Niagara River developments and was expected to cost an estimated $217,000,000. Construction of the Lakeview station on 120 acres of lakefront land in Toronto Township, on the former site of the Long Branch Rifle Range, began in June 1958. The four chimneys of the Lakeview Station, 500 ft. tall, known as "The Four Sisters", could be seen for long distances on Lake Ontario. The Station was closed on April 30, 2005 by the Ontario Government, after 43 years of service. The four stacks were demolished on June 12, 2006. The rest of the building was demolished on June 28, 2007. Description updated August 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System