COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Industries Gallery
Displaying image 187 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Silverthorn Mill Ruins, Summerville
  View Full size image
Title: Silverthorn Mill Ruins, Summerville
Identifier: MC0281
Date of Original Photo: 1895-1900
Date Built: 1811
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x10 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Summerville (Mississauga)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This is a photograph of the ruins of the first grist mill to be built near Summerville on the Etobicoke Creek north of Dundas Street. The mill was built by John Silverthorn and his son, Aaron, on land which he had purchased for 200 and which became known as the Mill Farm. According to the web site, Markland Wood, at the mill was able to handle 200 barrels of wheat daily and the Silverthorns built Mill Road to ship the wheat between Dundas Street and Burnhamthorpe Road. A small community sprung up around the mill, at first named Silverthorn, but later known as the Village of Summerville. John Silverthorn died in 1846 and Aaron carried on the operation of the mill. However, the price of wheat fell sharply in 1856 with the ending of the Crimean War and the mill was shut down. In 1870 it was demolished and its stones used to build barns. At the time this photograph was taken, between 1895 and 1900, these ruins were all that was left. Today this area is known as Markland Wood. The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives.
Agency: Mississauga Library System