COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Industries Gallery
Displaying image 95 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Lloyd Refinery, Dubbs Thermal Cracking Unit, Port Credit, 1936
Identifier: TX0003
Date of Original Photo: 1936
Date Built: 1932
Image Type: B&W Photo, 19x24 cm
Subject: Petroleum refineries - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Texaco Canada Ltd
Location: 250 Lakeshore Road West

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This photo is a view of the Dubbs Thermal cracking unit in 1936. Lloyd Refinery was erected in 1932 on the site of the old Port Credit Brick Yard by L. B. Lloyd of Lloyd’s Tankers and went by the name of Lloyd Refineries Ltd. It consisted of a small crude Stilling Unit and nine storage tanks. The thruput, or amount of crude oil processed each day was 300 barrels which was converted to gasoline and fuel oils. Mr. F. K. Davis from Texas was the plant manager. In 1935 a Dubbs Thermal cracking unit was built and the crude unit modified to increase the thruput to 3000 barrels a day. Construction work was done by refinery personnel under the direction of Universal Oil Products of Chicago. In 1937 the refinery was purchased by Good Rich Oil in East Toronto. In 1946 Good Rich sold the refinery to Trinidad Leaseholds, a subsidiary of Central Mining Company with headquarters in the United Kingdom. The refinery then became known as Trinidad Leaseholds Canada Ltd, and was later renamed Regent Refining Company, a subsidiary of Trinidad Leaseholds. In 1955 McColl-Frontenac, a Canadian subsidiary of Texaco, moved into the refinery and in 1959 the name was changed to Texaco Canada Ltd. In 1985 the decommissioning of the Texaco Refinery was begun with the removal of the tank storage area.
Agency: Mississauga Library System