COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Industries Gallery
Displaying image 84 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Lakeview Generating Station, Demolition
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Generating Station, Demolition
Identifier: MC0522
Date of Original Photo: June 12, 2006
Date Built: 1962
Image Type: Col Photo, 10x15 cm.
Subject: Electric-power plants - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Lawrence R. Nicoll
Location: 800 Hydro Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 800 Hydro Road. The coal-fired Lakeview Generating Station was opened by Premier John Robarts on June 20, 1962. At that time it was expected to have a generating capacity equal to Ontario Hydro's two major Niagara River developments and was expected to cost an estimated $217,000,000. Construction of the Lakeview station on 120 acres of lakefront land in Toronto Township, on the former site of the Long Branch Rifle Range, began in June 1958. The four chimneys of the Lakeview Station, 500 ft. tall, known as "The Four Sisters", could be seen for long distances on Lake Ontario. The Station was closed on April 30, 2005 by the Ontario Government, after 43 years of service. The demolition of the stacks took place on June 12, 2006. This view of the demolition was originally photographed as a digital image by Lawrence R. Nicoll.
Agency: Mississauga Library System