COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Industries Gallery
Displaying image 254 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville P.U.C. Dam and Power House
Identifier: PH0322
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1907
Image Type: B&W Photo, 13x9 cm.
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 0 Ontario Street, pt. Lot 104, Plan STR 2

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Pt. Lot 104, Plan STR 2. Originally located at Ontario and Church Streets by the Credit River. This was the site of John Hyde’s Ontario Mills, built in 1850, with sawmill and barracks for the workers on the east bank. The Hyde family came from Vermont. The flour mill, on the west bank, was six storeys high. It was bought by Gooderhams in 1861 and converted to a flax dressing mill. Burned down in 1867, the mill was never rebuilt and the property, eventually owned by the village, was converted with a new dam in 1907 to an electricity generating plant providing power for 60 years to the village. It was also the site of the municipal water supply. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. This 1989 photo is of the north side of the ruins.
Agency: Mississauga Library System