Industries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 112 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Mary Fix at the Official Opening of St. Lawrence Cement Plant, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Mary Fix at the Official Opening of St. Lawrence Cement Plant, Clarkson
Identifier: MC0644
Date of Original Photo: 1957
Image Type: B&W Photo, 19x24 cm.
Subject: Fix, Mary McNulty

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Toronto Township Reeve Mary Fix at the official opening of the St. Lawrence Cement Plant, June 12, 1957. (St. Lawrence Cement is now Holcim.) From L. to R.: Burnham Mitchell, Royal Bank of Canada, Premier Leslie Frost, Mary Fix. Mary McNulty Fix was born in Ottawa in 1896. She graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1918 and became the first woman lawyer in Ottawa. As a woman lawyer she did not get important cases so she went into business and became a buyer for a clothing store in Ottawa. She married Albert Fix in 1931 and settled in Toronto Township, where, after her husband's death, she became interested in local politics. In 1953 she became Deputy-Reeve of Toronto Township (Anthony Adamson was elected Reeve), the first woman to enter politics in the township. She was elected Reeve in 1955 and re-elected in 1957, 1958 and 1959. In 1959 she became the first woman Warden of Peel County. She was also a member of the Library Board and a founding member of the Toronto Township Historical Society (now the Mississauga Heritage Foundation). She died in 1972 and left her property on Pinetree Way and Hurontario Street to the Town of Mississauga (now the City of Mississauga). Description updated July 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8854