Industries Gallery
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
St. Lawrence Starch Company, Staff House, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: St. Lawrence Starch Company, Staff House, Port Credit
Identifier: PH3425
Date Built: 1993
Image Type: 1889
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Location: 141 Lakeshore Road East, Plan 300E, Lots 10, 11

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 141 Lakeshore Road East. Plan 300E, Lot 10,11. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was built on this site in 1889 under the management of John Gray. At this time the plant ground about 2,000 bushels of corn per week to produce corn starch and glucose for industrial use. Later products included Bee Hive Golden Syrup, Durham Corn Starch and Ivory Laundry Starch, as well as St. Lawrence Corn Oil. In 1915 the original frame building burned and was replaced by one of red brick. In 1990 the plant was closed. The smokestack was demolished in 1994. This is a photo of the Staff House.
Agency: Mississauga Library System