Lakeview Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 111 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Centennial Branch Library, before expansion
Identifier: L601
Date of Original Photo: 1971
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1110 Atwater Avenue, pt. Lot 7, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1110 Atwater Avenue. Conc 2 SDS pt. Lot 7. In March 1967 the Council of Toronto Township voted to build three Centennial branches, on Morningstar Drive in Malton, in Whiteoaks Park in Lorne Park, and in Serson Park in Lakeview. The three Centennial libraries were officially opened on Sunday, October 15, 1967. The Lakeview branch, at 1110 Atwater Avenue, was opened by the Hon. William G. Davis, Minister of Education. During the first three days of operation there were 402 registrations at Lakeview and the circulation reached 1,691. By 1972 the Library Board reported to Council that the Centennial branches were now too small, particularly the Malton and Lakeview branches. In 1973 an architect was chosen and by October of 1974 the extension had been completed and renovations were begun on the old part of the building. On Sunday, March 9, 1975, the expanded Lakeview branch was officially opened by Mayor Dr. Martin Dobkin with an increase in circulating books from 97,000 (in 1974) to 110,000. With the addition of the new wing, the library space was increased from 37,000 square feet to 41,000 square feet and a children┐s department added. Further renovations were carried out in 1990. In 2004 the Library┐s Master Plan included plans for the redevelopment of the Lakeview Branch Library, along with Port Credit and Lorne Park branches, with funding from the federal Infrastructure Stimulus Fund, a joint investment by the Canadian, Ontario and municipal governments under Canada┐s Economic Action Plan of 2009. The library┐s HVAC system was replaced along with other major renovations including bringing the building up to accessibility standards. The branch was closed on 7 February 2010 to carry out the renovations and was reopened to the public on 15 February 2011. The official opening of the completely renovated Lakeview Library took place on 11 June 2011 with Mayor Hazel McCallion and Ward 1 Councillor Jim Tovey attending. Description updated August 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8853