COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Lakeview Gallery
Displaying image 164 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Ruth Konrad at Lakeview Library, 1970
Identifier: N200
Date of Original Photo: 1970
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Konrad, Ruth

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Mrs. Ruth Konrad plants a tree at the Lakeview Branch. The staff gave Mrs. Konrad a tree for each branch. This particular tree was a red maple. Copied by Mississauga Library System from a photograph taken by Dorothy Stenhouse. In March 1967 the Council of Toronto Township voted to build three Centennial branches, on Morningstar Drive in Malton, at Whiteoaks Park in Lorne Park, and in Serson Park in Lakeview. The three Centennial libraries were officially opened on Sunday, October 15, 1967. The Lakeview branch, at 1110 Atwater Avenue, was opened by the Hon. William G. Davis, Minister of Education, at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon. During the first three days of operation at the new branches there were 402 registrations at Lakeview and the circulation reached 1,691. By 1972 the Library Board reported to Council that the Centennial branches were now too small, particularly the Malton and Lakeview branches, and it was estimated that each branch would cost about $150,000 to expand. In 1973 an architect was chosen and plans drawn up for the extension, however the building program ran into difficulties, due to an increase in building costs and the lack of approval from the Ontario Municipal Board. By October of 1974 the extension had been completed and renovations were begun on the old part of the building. On Sunday, March 9, 1975, the expanded Lakeview branch was officially opened by Mayor Dr. Martin Dobkin
Agency: Mississauga Library System