COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Lakeview Gallery
Displaying image 13 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Adamson Estate, Barn, Lakeview
  View Full size image
Title: Adamson Estate, Barn, Lakeview
Identifier: RP0092
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1919
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings -- Ontario -- Lakeview (Mississauga)
Donor: Recreation and Parks, Community Services
Location: 850 Enola Avenue, Broken Lot 11, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 850 Enola Avenue. Conc 3 SDS, Broken Lot 11. The history of the property goes back to the first Crown grant to Joseph Cawthra in 1804 and letters patent in 1809. According to the Heritage Property database, it is believed that a small log structure once stood on the property and was followed by a larger Swiss chateau-style structure added to the water side. A cottage built ca 1850 was removed when the main house was built by the Adamsons in 1919. The property was known originally as the Grove Farm and was farmed by others under Cawthra direction. The barn was built about 1875. Joseph Cawthrażs grandson, John, used the property as a summer cottage estate and erected a frame addition to the original dwelling. In 1875, at his death, the property went to his daughter Mabel, who married Agar Adamson of Ottawa. The main house was built in 1919-1920, designed by Sproat and Rolph, of cut stone in Colonial Revival style with Flemish elements. In 1929 a glassed orangery was added which was turned into a library in the 1950s. The gatehouse, or Folly, was built in 1905 to supplement the previous house on the site. It was for summer use only. A second house, built near the current entrance to the property, was built about 1902 for the farmer. This house was demolished ca 1992 during the park development and introduction of the Waterfront Trail. The house was willed to the great-great grandson of Joseph Cawthra, Anthony Adamson, and his wife Augusta Bonnycastle. Adamson was Reeve of Toronto Township in 1952-53. The property is currently owned by the City of Mississauga and the building has been leased to the Royal Conservatory of Music since 1992 but the grounds remain a public park. This photo is of the barn on the property, an example of a Southenr Ontario Gambrel barn. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. Description as of April 2016.
Agency: Mississauga Library System