Libraries Gallery
Displaying image 59 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Mayor McCallion at Central Library Topping Off Ceremony, July 1989
  View Full size image
Title: Mayor McCallion at Central Library Topping Off Ceremony, July 1989
Identifier: N731
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1991
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West, pt. Lot 18, Conc 2 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West. Conc 2 NDS pt. Lot 18. The Mississauga Central Library opened its doors to the public on September 23, 1991 and the official opening ceremony followed on October 2, 1991. As part of the Mississauga Library System, the Central Library was related to a number of earlier libraries. The main branch of the Toronto Township Public Library was set up in 1957 in a small commercial building on Dundas Street. By 1960 it had moved across Dundas Street to larger quarters in the basement of a former Methodist Church. In 1963 the library moved to a new 10,000 square foot building to the west of the Municipal Offices at Confederation Square. Toronto Township became the Town of Mississauga on January 1, 1964 and the library was renamed the Mississauga Public Library. In 1972 the Central Library was expanded and made handicapped accessible by the addition of a new entrance, upper level and elevator. This building also outgrew customer demand. In 1976 Library Administration, the Technical Services Department and the Bookmobile moved to other sites. Construction for the new Central Library began to the south of the Mississauga Civic Centre in 1988. The old Central Library closed on June 29, 1991 and the collections and staff moved to the new Central Library at 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West. This 1989 photo shows Mayor Hazel McCallion at the topping-off ceremony for the Central Library. Description as of February 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System