Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 126 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Reeve Robert Speck at Opening of Clarkson Lorne Park Branch Library
  View Full size image
Title: Reeve Robert Speck at Opening of Clarkson Lorne Park Branch Library
Identifier: MI0001
Date of Original Photo: 15 October 1967
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: B&W Photo
Subject: Speck, Robert
Donor: City of Mississauga
Location: 1474 Truscott Drive

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Reeve Robert Speck at the opening of the Clarkson Lorne Park Branch Library with Michael and Julie Giguerre. In March 1967 the Toronto Township Council had committed to building three new Branches as a Centennial project, one on Morningstar Drive in the Westwood subdivision of Malton, one in Serson Park in Lakeview and the third in the Whiteoaks area of Lorne Park. Robert Speck was the first and only Mayor of the Town of Mississauga. He was born in 1915 and raised on a fruit farm in Clarkson. He was president of the Lakeview Businessmen Association and of the Clarkson Dixie Fruit Growers' Association. He entered politics in Toronto Township in 1956, serving as Councillor for one year, Deputy Reeve for three years, Reeve for seven years and Mayor for five. During his tenure as Reeve for his second term Toronto Township applied to the Ontario Municipal Board for town status. In 1967 it was granted and a new name given to the town, Mississauga. Robert Speck had suffered two heart attacks and in December 1971 he underwent a heart transplant. However, he died in April 1972 from a combination of pneumonia and a duodenal ulcer. The photo was taken at the official opening of the Clarkson Lorne Park Branch on October 15, 1967. Original photograph at Museums of Mississauga. Description as of April 2012.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851