Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 43 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Centennial Branch Library, before expansion
Identifier: L601
Date of Original Photo: 1982
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1110 Atwater Avenue

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: In March 1967 the Council of Toronto Township voted to build three Centennial branches, on Morningstar Drive in Malton, at Whiteoaks Park in Lorne Park, and in Serson Park in Lakeview. The three Centennial libraries were officially opened on Sunday, October 15, 1967. The Lakeview branch, at 1110 Atwater Avenue, was opened by the Hon. William G. Davis, Minister of Education, at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon. During the first three days of operation at the new branches there were 402 registrations at Lakeview and the circulation reached 1,691. By 1972 the Library Board reported to Council that the Centennial branches were now too small, particularly the Malton and Lakeview branches. In 1973 an architect was chosen and plans drawn up for the extension, however the building program ran into difficulties, due to an increase in building costs and the lack of approval from the Ontario Municipal Board. By October of 1974 the extension had been completed and renovations were begun on the old part of the building. On Sunday, March 9, 1975, the expanded Lakeview branch was officially opened by Mayor Dr. Martin Dobkin with an increase in circulating books from 97,000 (in 1974) to 110,000. With the addition of the new wing the library space was increased from 37,000 square feet to 41,000 square feet and a children’s department added.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850