Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Burnhamthorpe Branch Library, 1974
Identifier: Q171
Date of Original Photo: 1974
Date Built: 1928
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East, pt Lot 6, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East. Conc 1 NDS pt. Lot 6. This was the fourth Burnhamthorpe Public School, SS No. 8, built in 1928 replacing the old one-room brick schoolhouse built in 1883. The school was closed by the Board of Education in 1965 when a new school was built on Golden Orchard Drive, and this building was leased to the Toronto French School on a yearly basis. In 1970 the building was shared by both the Toronto French School and the Burnhamthorpe Branch which opened on October 15, 1970. The branch was expanded when the French School left in 1972. In 1974 the firm of Raymond Moriyama, Architects, was chosen to design the new Burnhamthorpe District Library and this building was demolished. The library would serve not only as a collection of library materials but also as a community cultural centre, incorporating in its design a theatre, meeting rooms, a community service and lounge area, the entire space covering 31,500 square feet. It also incorporated the Administration and Technical Services Departments from the Central Library. The new Burnhamthorpe District Library was officially opened on October 3, 1976. In 1977 the building won an Ontario Mason's Relations Council (OMRC) Design Award, and it received an Institutional Honourable Mention in the 1981 Mississauga Urban Design Awards. In 1991, when the new Central Library opened, the Administration Offices and Technical Services Department moved from the Burnhamthorpe District Branch to the Central Library, paving the way for the Burnhamthorpe Branch to be renovated and expanded in 1992. In 2010 the Burnhamthorpe Branch Library (as it is now called) underwent considerable renovation and the address was changed from 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East to 3650 Dixie Road. The building is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851