Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 40 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Branch Library, interior
Identifier: Q139
Date of Original Photo: 1975
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauaga
Location: 1110 Atwater Avenue

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Interior of the expanded Lakeview Branch Library, 1975. In 1963 the Chief Librarian of the Toronto Township Library System reported that she had been approached by a group of young women in the Applewood Acres area who were considering mounting a campaign to get signatures on a petition for a branch of the Township Library system to be opened in rented quarters in the Applewood Village Shopping Centre. At this time the circulation of the bookmobile at this stop was 26,000 in October alone. However, it was not until 1967 that the Lakeview area got a library. In March 1967 the Council of Toronto Township voted to build three Centennial branches: on Morningstar Drive in Malton, at Whiteoaks Park in Lorne Park, and in Serson Park in Lakeview. The three Centennial libraries were officially opened on Sunday, October 15, 1967. The Lakeview branch, at 1110 Atwater Avenue, was opened by the Hon. William G. Davis, Minister of Education, at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon. During the first three days of operation at the new branches there were 402 registrations at Lakeview and the circulation reached 1,691. By 1972 the Library Board reported to Council that the Centennial branches were now too small, particularly the Malton and Lakeview branches, and it was estimated that each branch would cost about $150,000 to expand. In 1973 an architect was chosen and plans drawn up for the extension, however the building program ran into difficulties, due to an increase in building costs and the lack of approval from the Ontario Municipal Board. By October of 1974 the extension had been completed and renovations were begun on the old part of the building. On Sunday, March 9, 1975, the expanded Lakeview branch was officially opened by Mayor Dr. Martin Dobkin with an increase in circulating books from 97,000 (in 1974) to 110,000. With the addition of the new wing the library space was increased from 37,000 square feet to 41,000 square feet and a children's department added.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850