Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 85 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Mississauga Central Library, Groundbreaking Ceremony, 1988
Identifier: N665
Date of Original Photo: 1988
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Mayor McCallion breaks ground at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Central Library, September 23, 1988, in front of the Mississauga Civic Centre. The main branch of the Toronto Township Public Library (later the Mississauga Library System) was set up in 1957 in a small commercial building on Dundas Street. By 1960 the Central branch had moved across Dundas Street to larger quarters in the basement of the former Methodist Church. The building was quite cramped and was eventually demolished in 1963, shortly after the library moved to a new 10,000 square foot building to the west of the Municipal Offices at Confederation Square. Toronto Township became the Town of Mississauga on January 1, 1964 and the library name was changed to the Mississauga Public Library. In 1972 the Central Library was expanded by the addition of a new entrance, an upper level, with an elevator, and was also made handicapped accessible. Eventually this building outgrew customer demand, and in 1976 the Technical Services Department, the Bookmobile and Administration had moved to other sites. A new Central Library was built on Burnhamthorpe Road West, in front of the Civic Centre. The old Central Library closed on June 29, 1991 and the collections and staff moved to the new Central at 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850