Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 133 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Library, 1980
Identifier: Q404
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1967
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 112 Queen Street South

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Streetsville Branch is the oldest library in the Mississauga Library System. It began in April 3, 1854 with the establishment of the Streetsville Farmers' and Mechanics' Institute, incorporated by Act of Parliament. Membership which was one dollar a year was at first limited to men only. The first location of the Institute was above John Embleton's store on Queen Street South, then in 1877 the Institute moved its books to the new Oddfellows Hall at 271 Queen Street South. The books were kept in an upstairs room while the main floor of the building was used as a public hall. In 1878 a reading room was established, and by 1881 the collection had grown to about 1,400 books. In May 1895 the last meeting of the directors of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Institute was held and the directors immediately joined the newly formed Board of Streetsville Public Library. The library moved again in 1902 from the Oddfellows Hall to a property owned by the Cunningham family on the southwest corner of Queen and Barry Streets, where it remained till 1967. In the same year the Council of the Village of Streetsville passed a bylaw to take over the Streetsville Public Library and convert it to a free Public Library under the Public Libraries Act. Streetsville Library was thus the only free library in Toronto Township when the Peel County Library was formed, the other village libraries being association libraries with a charge for membership. In 1905 the Library joined the Ontario Library Association. The same year the Streetsville Women's Institute was organized and three years later was allowed to rent the room above the library for its meetings. As a result of this arrangement the Women's Institute made many donations of materials to the Library. In 1964 the Mayor of Streetsville suggested that a new library building would be an appropriate Centennial project for the town. The idea generated a great deal of controversy but eventually the residents of Streetsville voted in favour of the new building. The Streetsville Centennial Library, at 112 Queen Street South, was officially opened by the then Minister of Education, the Hon. William Davis, on November 29, 1967. In 1974, with the creation of the City of Mississauga out of the former Town of Mississauga and the municipalities of Streetsville and Port Credit, the Streetsville Library became a branch of the Mississauga Library System.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851