Libraries Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 145 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Woodlands Branch, 1978
Identifier: Q866
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1975
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1030 McBride Avenue

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: In October 1972 the Mississauga Public Library Board first considered the possibility of building a neighbourhood library in the Erindale Woodlands area, beside the Woodlands High School at the corner of McBride Avenue and Erindale Station Road. This was to be a new concept in neighbourhood branches, in that it would be the first co-operatively built school and public library in the city, with entrances from both the school and from the outside. The branch would be 5,000 square feet in size. The architect for the school building saw no physical barriers to such a project and in October 1973 the building was approved in principle by the general committee of City Council. Due to various delays, however, construction of the Woodlands branch fell behind schedule, first because the lowest tenders came in over budget. Furthermore, by May 1974 it was not clear whether the land had been purchased, and there were further delays in getting approval from the Ontario Municipal Board. The library was eventually opened on April 7, 1975. Although the original plans to have an entrance from the school into the library were not carried out, Woodlands Library did score several firsts. It was the first new library building in Mississauga since the construction of the Centennial branches in 1967. It was the first library to be attached to a school and it was also the first neighbourhood library to start out with 5,500 square feet of space. The branch opened with a collection of 8,000 books which included the largest collection of cookbooks of any library in Mississauga.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850