Local Government Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 126 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Toronto Township Recreation Committee at Greyshur House, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Toronto Township Recreation Committee at Greyshur House, Clarkson
Identifier: MC0544
Date of Original Photo: ca 1950
Image Type: B&W Photo, 22x19 cm.
Subject: Fix, Mary McNulty

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Toronto Township Recreation Committee at Greyshur House ca 1950s (now the site of the Clarkson Water Treatment Plant). Back row, L. to R.: Joe Holmes, Bob Harrison, Frank McKechnie, Elmer Wright. Front row, L. to R.: Ev Fleming, Reeve Mary Fix, Caye Killaby, Deputy Reeve Robert Speck. Mary McNulty Fix was born in Ottawa in 1896. She graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1918 and became the first woman lawyer in Ottawa. As a woman lawyer she did not get important cases so she went into business and became a buyer for a clothing store in Ottawa. She married Albert Fix in 1931 and settled in Toronto Township, where, after her husband's death, she became interested in local politics. In 1953 she became Deputy-Reeve of Toronto Township (Anthony Adamson was elected Reeve), the first woman to enter politics in the township. She was elected Reeve in 1955 and re-elected in 1957 and 1958. In 1959 she became the first woman Warden of Peel County, and was again elected Reeve in 1961. She was also a member of the Library Board and a founding member of the Toronto Township Historical Society (now the Mississauga Heritage Foundation). She died in 1972 and left her property on Pinetree Way and Hurontario Street to the Town of Mississauga (now the City of Mississauga). Photo: David Hall, Port Credit.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8854