Lorne Park Gallery
Displaying image 95 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Lorne Park Estates
Identifier: L385
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1879
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Lorne Park Estates (Mississauga, Ont.)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The land on which Lorne Park Estates is today was unclaimed land until late in the 1850s. In 1877 it belonged to J. and W. Orr, when it was discovered by Toronto residents and became a popular amusement park Lorne Park was officially opened on May 24, 1879 by the Marquis of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada. The amusement park contained a shooting gallery, swings, slides, a merry-go-round, dancing, a pavilion and a restaurant. There was also a bowling green and tennis courts. The Hotel Louise was built in 1879 and redesigned by Edmund Burke in 1889 in the elaborate style of the time. The hotel had been named after Princess Louise, the daughter of Queen Victoria. It was well patronized and also used as a meeting place and social club for the cottage owners who settled in Lorne Park. In 1909 it ceased to operate as a hotel and was used as a cottage. In 1920 there was a fire in the hotel and it eventually became derelict, and no longer exists. This 1980 photo shows a new building being constructed in Lorne Park Estates. Description as of January 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System