Lorne Park Gallery
Displaying image 46 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Clarkson Lorne Park Branch Library
Identifier: P957
Date of Original Photo: 1977
Date Built: 1966
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1474 Truscott Drive

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Exterior of the Clarkson Lorne Park Branch Library, in 1977. The Lorne Park library was first located in Mrs. O'Hara's grocery store at the corner of Lakeshore Highway and Lorne Park Road, and in 1904 the library received a grant of $10.00 from the Township of Toronto. At a meeting of the Lorne Park Public Library Association, held in the Mission Hall (later the Community Centre, now Lorne Park Hall) on Lorne Park Road, a board of nine members was elected. In 1919 the books were moved to a small unused room at the back of the Mission Hall and later on to a room in the Lorne Park School. Around 1947 the school room was needed for classes and the library was moved yet again to a small building which had formerly been a fruit and vegetable stand located beside the Community Hall. In 1953 the Library acquired a new home when it moved to the basement of Weaver's store in the Bolton-Ellis-Weaver Shopping Centre, south of the railway crossing on Lorne Park Road. In 1956 the people of Toronto Township voted to establish a township public library. At that time there were six small libraries in the area: Meadowvale, Malton, Mineola Gardens, Cooksville, Clarkson and Lorne Park. At a meeting of the Board and Librarians of the Lorne Park Public Library Association on May 16, 1957, the Acting Chair advised the members that as of June 1, 1957, the Lorne Park Public Library Association would become the Lorne Park Branch of the Township of Toronto Public Library, later the Mississauga Library System. The two librarians, who till then had worked as volunteers, would be paid $1.50 per hour for a maximum of six hours a week. In 1962 it was suggested that the Library should be replaced with bookmobile service, but this was unpopular with the community and petition was presented to the Board protesting this change. In 1966 plans were made to build three Centennial branches at Malton, Lakeview and Lorne Park. Lorne Park, which was built in the Whiteoaks Park area on Truscott Drive, was renamed the Clarkson Lorne Park Branch, combining the Clarkson and Lorne Park branches. (Clarkson Branch was destroyed by fire in 1964, and another branch, at first known as Western and then renamed Park Royal, was opened in the Park Royal Plaza in November 1964.) In April 1974, an extension to the Clarkson Lorne Park centennial branch was opened by Mayor Martin Dobkin, and in 1998 the decision was made to change the name of the Clarkson Lorne Park branch back to Lorne Park and to rename the Park Royal branch Clarkson Branch.
Agency: Mississauga Library System