Derry West Cemetery
Derry West Cemetery is located at 25 Derry Road West on the North-West Corner of Derry Road and Highway 10 (Hurontario St.). The property was the site of the original Hurontario/Carter's Anglican Church in the hamlet of Derry West which was built in 1829 by Joseph Carter.
Derry West Anglican is one of the earliest cemeteries of the Toronto Township. The first burials likely began in the 1830s and continued all the way through 1867 until the town of Derry West came to its demise due to a village fire. Burials were still ongoing after that year but they were far less frequent. The last known burial was that of Mary J. Graham in 1936.
|First Burial on Record:
|Acres of Land:
|Approximate # of Burials:
Why Derry West Cemetery is so Meaningful
Derry West Cemetery expresses a representative style of cemetery in its layout, grave markers and monuments. Their surviving inscription and ornamentation are typical of a nineteenth century cemetery. With the association of the noted citizens interred, this cemetery has historical value in its own right that served the community for approximately 100 years.
The property has contextual value as it formed part of the village of Derry West. The monuments impart information about our built environment, and their layout, arrangement, form, symbolism and material convey historic importance. The cemetery, as a whole, is important in defining the village of Derry West.