Natural Area Enhancement & Restoration
The Parks & Forestry Division has been enhancing natural areas in City parks and green spaces since the 1980s.
The Parks & Forestry Division has been enhancing natural areas in City parks and green spaces for over 40 years. With the support of volunteers, tens of thousands of trees, shrubs, wildflowers and grasses are planted annually through this program.
- Protects fragile river valleys
- Creates or enhances wildlife corridors and habitats
- Creates forest edge buffers and protects forest interiors
- Supports areas requiring special protection such as sites with species at risk
- Improves air and water quality
- Increases natural cover
- Buffers and reduces noise levels
- Reduces the speed of water and soil erosion
- Eliminates dangerous parkland maintenance sites such as slopes
- Increases public awareness and appreciation of nature
- Increases our urban tree canopy