Trinity Wesleyan Cemetery is located at 1520 Britannia Road East on the Southeast corner of Dixie Road. The cemetery was established in 1842 and is the only remnant of a farming community within a modern industrial development area.
Despite the first interment occurring in 1842, the Trinity Wesleyan Cemetery was officially established in March of 1853 when local preacher John Hunt and his wife Sarah sold the land, 1 rod and 14 perches worth, to the trustees of the United Methodist Church. The last interment took place in 1971.
|First Burial on Record:
|Acres of Land:
|Approximate # of Burials:
Symbolism of a Ninteenth Century Cemetery
The cemetery includes a variety of grave marker forms. These include slabs, obelisks, columns and blocks. The stones are rather simple but some are incised with linear art and various motifs including doves, flowers, leaves and willow trees.
Heritage designation of Trinity Wesleyan Cemetery was approved in 2006 for its historical and contextual significance in accordance with the requirements of the Ontario Heritage Act.