Parks Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 131 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Mary Fix, in Mary Fix Park, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Mary Fix, in Mary Fix Park, Port Credit
Identifier: MC0550
Date Built: ca 1939
Image Type: Col. Photo, 12.8x18.5 cm.
Subject: Fix, Mary McNulty
Location: 25 Pinetree Way, pt. Lot 1, Range 2 CIR

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This photo shows Mary Fix standing by the sign for the Mary Fix Park, part of her property at the corner of Hurontario Street and Pinetree Way, which she willed to the Town of Mississauga (now the City of Mississauga) and which has been preserved as a park named after her. Mary McNulty Fix was born in Ottawa in 1896. She graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1918 and became the first woman lawyer in Ottawa. As a woman lawyer she did not get important cases so she went into business and became a buyer for a clothing store in Ottawa. She married Albert Fix in 1931 and settled in Toronto Township, where, after her husband's death, she became interested in local politics. In 1953 she became Deputy-Reeve of Toronto Township (Anthony Adamson was elected Reeve), the first woman to enter politics in the township. She was elected Reeve in 1955 and re-elected in 1957, 1958 and 1959. In 1959 she became the first woman Warden of Peel County. She was also a member of the Library Board and a founding member of the Toronto Township Historical Society (now the Mississauga Heritage Foundation). She died in 1972 and left her property on Pinetree Way and Hurontario Street to the Town of Mississauga (now the City of Mississauga). The original of this photograph is at the Region of Peel Archives. Description updated July 2019.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8854